It appears the brilliant solo dev Tom Happ, who single handedly made Axiom Verge is willing to chat on the Bloodstained Community Broadcast! Please let me know what you would like to hear us talk about. Questions are welcome and appreciated.
First a Bloodstained demo, and now a community broadcast with the creator of Axiom Verge? Today has certainly been an epic day.
1: There have been a lot of "Metroidvania" games coming out as of late--Axiom Verge is one, of course, but so is Bloodstained (obviously) and many others as well. As a Metroidvania creator, why do you think the genre remains so popular? What do you believe are its strengths? And do you think the market for them may be oversaturated?
2: Axiom Verge was a wonderfully creepy game! From where did you draw inspiration for its aesthetics? The original Metroid, obviously, but would I be mistaken in saying there's some Giger in there?
Well, I had never heard about Tom Happ or Axiom Verge until now, which I find weird. I haven't really heard anybody talk about this game, and from what I see the reviews are really good, and the really only negatives I see are from the people who don't like retro games, and some problems on the Vita version of the game. And with 65000 people owning it on steam one would expect it to be talked or recommended about more often, the numbers are only on steam so I can't really tell if it sold the same number on the other platforms. But all of this brings me to my questions.
1. Does Tom Happ think that the game would do better if it had marketing? (By this I mean like letting some youtubers review or play it to create an interest to more people.)
2. Did it do better on other consoles?
3. Did it come out in a time with big titles or similar games releasing at the same time?
4. If you could worked on this with a team, would you have done that?
Post by Goobsausage on Jun 7, 2016 18:43:59 GMT -6
Ooh, nice! I think I might've met him at a gaming event when Axiom Verge was being featured in the expo hall (I think it was SXSW 2014 or 2015), and if my memory serves correctly, he was demoing the game himself. If so, he was a pretty cool and nice human being, and this should lead to a good interview. If not, then the guy who demoed the game was a pretty cool and nice human being, and I hope the interview with Tom Happ goes well.
1. Why did you choose to make Axiom Verge by yourself?
2. Can you tell us about your experience with meeting IGA? That must've been a pretty cool experience.
Post by LuckPercentSRL on Jun 7, 2016 19:39:29 GMT -6
I knew he'd agree to talk about Bloodstained. He's been mentioning it a little bit on his twitter. So having heard the guy from AGDQ 2016 and from my friend GVirus, I am excited to hear the guy on the BCB. Kinda wish we also could have Dan on the BCB along with Tom, but I guess this is fine.
1. In your recent adventure with IGA (as shown by Goobsausage), How interested is IGA in Axiom?
2. What made you want to include a Speedrun mode for the game?
3. In your opinion, which version of the game do you like the most? (PC, Vita, Playstation, etc)
Also mister Happ, could you give a shoutout to the Sub 7 Xedur club? The speedrun chat/group that contains GVirus, PreFiXAUT, Dark, a couple of others and myself. Can't wait to hear this one!
1. Now that Axiom Verge has been out for a while, can you be able to share any exciting details about any particular or interesting bug during Axiom Verge development that went from detection to resolution? 2. Looking back with the given success of Axiom Verge and with the knowledge you have today, would you have preferred to have done certain tasks differently within any area of game development, from concept to final product? 3. What shall we expect from Thomas Happ Games LLC within the next 10 years?
Bloodstained weapons/items I'm looking forward to: Takoyaki Skewer (weapon) (Elixir) Donuts (health item) Mac 'n Cheese (health item)
Sorry for the late entry, I just got home from a work thing...
1. Give the experience you have now and the response you've gotten from your fans/customers/haters (if any haters exist) what are some things that you did with the Axiom you wished you hadn't, things you didn't do that you wished you had, and anything else that you would otherwise change if you could "go back and start over again"?
2. How likely is a sequel (i.e. is there even a broad timeline for working on it yet?) and how closely would you like to see it tied to the first Axiom game (would you like it to take off right from the end scene of the first game? a couple days later? years later? not at all?)
3. What is your feeling about Bloodstained in general? (the kickstarter, swordorwhip, the initial look, the most recent update, etc.)
4. what has been your best and worst experience working on Axiom?
I had another one... but I cant remember what it was...
Enkeria Gin: And... We need to go back to the ship at one point, because there are rooms we can't reach until double jump etc.
Aug 23, 2017 7:47:18 GMT -6
castledan: Yeah, I was just basing it on the painting...it didn't look like a village fit there well but obviously it probably just wasn't entirely accurate. Lol
Aug 23, 2017 8:02:17 GMT -6
castledan: I'm okay with it either way, I just want the castle to be big like the promised.
Aug 23, 2017 8:02:37 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: Dan, if/when we hold a big Bloodstained party, I'm gonna get a bit bouncy castle for ya
Aug 23, 2017 11:29:56 GMT -6
RichterB: I assume, like others, that the ship goes to the village and then the village can get you to the castle. And this being IGAvania, I imagine the ship will become beached and you can return to it at some point...
Aug 23, 2017 12:39:33 GMT -6
RichterB: ...However, I will say that the original concept art looks like the castle is on water, so that does raise the question about how you get there if not by the ship. But perhaps the village is already on the opposite side of the island art we see.
Aug 23, 2017 12:41:02 GMT -6
RichterB: I've always liked the buildup to getting to a castle or having areas around the castle, so I'm happy about these elements. I hope to see at least some outdoor/organic-type areas within the castle since we likely won't be outside it much.
Aug 23, 2017 12:43:29 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: Bloodstained's village looks like it's located near a volcano. I think that the village may actually be in Iceland, and the castle is on an island between it and Britain.
Aug 23, 2017 13:02:26 GMT -6
Galamoth: purifyweirdsoul And even more specifically, the kirkjugólf. ("church floor"; the natural basalt pavement)
Aug 23, 2017 13:35:08 GMT -6
Galamoth: To make this even sillier, we can always bring up bananas. We can perpetuate the myth that [even back in the late 18th century] Iceland is the world's greatest exporter of bananas!
Aug 23, 2017 13:37:06 GMT -6
Galamoth: Somebody make a banana emote, and hope that it's a [joke] food item in Bloodstained alongside mac n' cheese!
Aug 23, 2017 13:38:10 GMT -6
ZeroSbr: We'll probably find all this out by next month :p
Aug 23, 2017 14:29:37 GMT -6
ghaleon: Cheese flavoured beer. doo eet...seriously though. they've made bacon and pizza beer. where is my cheese beer
Aug 23, 2017 16:05:44 GMT -6
Galamoth: ghaleon o_0 Where is my peanut butter-flavored wine, then?
Aug 23, 2017 16:30:34 GMT -6
Fangamer Steve: Hey folks! I just finished working on a bunch of update assets!
Aug 23, 2017 22:45:49 GMT -6
Fangamer Steve: So, we'll probably have an update soon!
Aug 23, 2017 22:46:10 GMT -6