It appears the brilliant solo dev Tom Happ, who single handedly made Axiom Verge is willing to chat on the Bloodstained Community Broadcast! Please let me know what you would like to hear us talk about. Questions are welcome and appreciated.
First a Bloodstained demo, and now a community broadcast with the creator of Axiom Verge? Today has certainly been an epic day.
1: There have been a lot of "Metroidvania" games coming out as of late--Axiom Verge is one, of course, but so is Bloodstained (obviously) and many others as well. As a Metroidvania creator, why do you think the genre remains so popular? What do you believe are its strengths? And do you think the market for them may be oversaturated?
2: Axiom Verge was a wonderfully creepy game! From where did you draw inspiration for its aesthetics? The original Metroid, obviously, but would I be mistaken in saying there's some Giger in there?
Well, I had never heard about Tom Happ or Axiom Verge until now, which I find weird. I haven't really heard anybody talk about this game, and from what I see the reviews are really good, and the really only negatives I see are from the people who don't like retro games, and some problems on the Vita version of the game. And with 65000 people owning it on steam one would expect it to be talked or recommended about more often, the numbers are only on steam so I can't really tell if it sold the same number on the other platforms. But all of this brings me to my questions.
1. Does Tom Happ think that the game would do better if it had marketing? (By this I mean like letting some youtubers review or play it to create an interest to more people.)
2. Did it do better on other consoles?
3. Did it come out in a time with big titles or similar games releasing at the same time?
4. If you could worked on this with a team, would you have done that?
Post by Goobsausage on Jun 7, 2016 18:43:59 GMT -6
Ooh, nice! I think I might've met him at a gaming event when Axiom Verge was being featured in the expo hall (I think it was SXSW 2014 or 2015), and if my memory serves correctly, he was demoing the game himself. If so, he was a pretty cool and nice human being, and this should lead to a good interview. If not, then the guy who demoed the game was a pretty cool and nice human being, and I hope the interview with Tom Happ goes well.
1. Why did you choose to make Axiom Verge by yourself?
2. Can you tell us about your experience with meeting IGA? That must've been a pretty cool experience.
Post by LuckPercentSRL on Jun 7, 2016 19:39:29 GMT -6
I knew he'd agree to talk about Bloodstained. He's been mentioning it a little bit on his twitter. So having heard the guy from AGDQ 2016 and from my friend GVirus, I am excited to hear the guy on the BCB. Kinda wish we also could have Dan on the BCB along with Tom, but I guess this is fine.
1. In your recent adventure with IGA (as shown by Goobsausage), How interested is IGA in Axiom?
2. What made you want to include a Speedrun mode for the game?
3. In your opinion, which version of the game do you like the most? (PC, Vita, Playstation, etc)
Also mister Happ, could you give a shoutout to the Sub 7 Xedur club? The speedrun chat/group that contains GVirus, PreFiXAUT, Dark, a couple of others and myself. Can't wait to hear this one!
1. Now that Axiom Verge has been out for a while, can you be able to share any exciting details about any particular or interesting bug during Axiom Verge development that went from detection to resolution? 2. Looking back with the given success of Axiom Verge and with the knowledge you have today, would you have preferred to have done certain tasks differently within any area of game development, from concept to final product? 3. What shall we expect from Thomas Happ Games LLC within the next 10 years?
Bloodstained weapons/items I'm looking forward to: Takoyaki Skewer (weapon) (Elixir) Donuts (health item) Mac 'n Cheese (health item)
Sorry for the late entry, I just got home from a work thing...
1. Give the experience you have now and the response you've gotten from your fans/customers/haters (if any haters exist) what are some things that you did with the Axiom you wished you hadn't, things you didn't do that you wished you had, and anything else that you would otherwise change if you could "go back and start over again"?
2. How likely is a sequel (i.e. is there even a broad timeline for working on it yet?) and how closely would you like to see it tied to the first Axiom game (would you like it to take off right from the end scene of the first game? a couple days later? years later? not at all?)
3. What is your feeling about Bloodstained in general? (the kickstarter, swordorwhip, the initial look, the most recent update, etc.)
4. what has been your best and worst experience working on Axiom?
I had another one... but I cant remember what it was...
Brainiac: I'm a little surprised at no Chrono Trigger, though everything else is indeed awesome, especially Star Fox 2.
Jun 26, 2017 12:51:18 GMT -6
qaantar: I'm sure that's a Square-Enix issue (notice no FF II (IV) or III (VI) either).
Jun 26, 2017 13:33:22 GMT -6
qaantar: Although Secret of Mana is on there.... hrm.
Jun 26, 2017 13:34:25 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: eh? FF3 is on there, and SM RPG too.
Jun 26, 2017 13:38:03 GMT -6
Brainiac: Eyep. I kinda figured it would be one or the other for the Final Fantasies + Secret of Mana, SMRPG, and Chrono Trigger. Admittedly, that would have been about 20% of the games rather than the current 1/7th being Square, but still, it's a decent collection.
Jun 26, 2017 13:46:14 GMT -6
Brainiac: Though I almost wonder if the current company wishes they could redo the logos and a few other things rather than leave them all as is.
Jun 26, 2017 13:46:51 GMT -6
qaantar: Oh sweet, I missed that! Nevermind then.... (:
Jun 26, 2017 13:47:07 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: It's really surprising to me how so many people honestly don't know that FF3 = 6 loool
Jun 26, 2017 14:10:10 GMT -6
Galamoth: Personally, I'm more familiar with the later re-releases of the earlier FF games. FFVIII & FFX were the first games in that franchise I've played & completed.
Jun 26, 2017 14:28:08 GMT -6
Galamoth: Hence why I'd associate "FF3" with the actual FFIII, and not the original NA release of FFVI.
Jun 26, 2017 14:28:45 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: yeah, but I'm sure you know that actual FF3 wasn't a Super Nintendo game.
Jun 26, 2017 14:31:36 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: Maybe some people do think that. It seems almost prevalent that anything pixelated = 8-bit these days. *eye roll* ...it'll actually be nice to finally have something "retro" that is obviously not just NES/that era.
Jun 26, 2017 14:33:13 GMT -6
thrashinuva: it's SNES classic, not Super Famicom classic. "FF3" is FF6
Jun 26, 2017 17:47:22 GMT -6
Galamoth: ^Many more where that silly arcade game came from.
Jun 26, 2017 18:05:58 GMT -6
purifyweirdsoul: I've never seen that game before...looks like Altered Beast meets the X-Men arcade game. lol, when they transform they do the Colossus super, and when they're in beast form they all do Nightcrawler's.
Jun 26, 2017 18:37:17 GMT -6
ghaleon: It's a sh ame they didn't put seiken densetsu 3/secret of mana 2 on there
Jun 26, 2017 21:06:51 GMT -6
ghaleon: I find kirby's dream course to be an odd choice. I actually love that game but I don't know anyone else who has even tried it =P
Jun 26, 2017 21:07:41 GMT -6
ghaleon: honestly I wish there were more games like it
Jun 26, 2017 21:07:48 GMT -6
lovelydumpling: Seiken Densetsu 3, I agree about that one
Jun 26, 2017 21:27:06 GMT -6