Fan art video featured in the ending Twitch stream

Quick Reply

Shoutbox

CastleDan Avatar
CastleDan: not quite sure why they couldn't have juse done SOTN level visuals but with better effects? Jul 19, 2018 9:17:01 GMT -6
CastleDan Avatar
CastleDan: doesn't strike me as any more expensive or time consuming as previous IGAVANIAS. If they did it then why would it be an issue now? Maybe im missing something Jul 19, 2018 9:17:26 GMT -6
Carnack Ketral Avatar
Carnack Ketral: They just wanted to try something new, i guess? Jul 19, 2018 9:32:23 GMT -6
Mr. Welldone Avatar
Mr. Welldone: Making games is an art. Artists get bored reproducing something (except lithographers, but that's something else). I'm content to let this be what it is. When artists get bored, their work fails. Jul 19, 2018 9:48:08 GMT -6
azdrerios Avatar
azdrerios: : You can't force creativity. It was quite obvious from Curse of Darkness that IGA really wanted to make a 2D vania game with 3D visuals. This is his chance to do just that. It's a new series, so new things are to be expected. Jul 19, 2018 15:52:14 GMT -6
ZeroSbr Avatar
ZeroSbr: They haven't done the SotN art style since...SotN. No game has, really. Ecclesia got close, but it wasn't quite the same art style. Jul 19, 2018 17:23:41 GMT -6
ghaleon Avatar
ghaleon: Do recall lots of people liked t he 2.5d in the new guilty gear... I think it's ok to keep trying 2.5d, eventually developers will gain the skills and knowledge to make it in a way to satisfy the more 2d purist types IMO. Jul 20, 2018 0:20:56 GMT -6
ghaleon Avatar
ghaleon: plus unreal engine probably has everything 3d by default. I mean you could fudge it by pasting really thin models on an invisible flat surface or something, but you would have to make the entire game made in that fashion. Jul 20, 2018 0:22:14 GMT -6
ghaleon Avatar
ghaleon: which would be ok but I imagine new game developer talent grew up with 3d moreso than sprites these days, so it would be difficult and/or expensive to hire people who can do everything in pure 2d. I'm just speculating though Jul 20, 2018 0:22:45 GMT -6
freddythemonkey Avatar
freddythemonkey: I still think it's weird to see spectacular looking 2D games done by small teams with a handful of money and being told that this wasn't possible in this case Jul 20, 2018 5:28:40 GMT -6
freddythemonkey Avatar
freddythemonkey: A kind user explained to me why a bigger team costs more but I'm still really baffled that 5,5 + millions on Kickstarter PLUS the publisher's money still weren't enough. Oh well, there's no point now but it's still strange to me Jul 20, 2018 5:30:59 GMT -6
Scars Unseen Avatar
Scars Unseen: It's not just a bigger team thing, but a level of detail issue. A lot of the 2D indie games succeed by establishing a visually pleasing aesthetic with limited details and animation fidelity. Jul 20, 2018 9:11:09 GMT -6
Scars Unseen Avatar
Scars Unseen: Very few have anything like the kind of detail SotN has, and none that I'm aware of at both that level of detail at a like or greater scale. Jul 20, 2018 9:13:06 GMT -6
Scars Unseen Avatar
Scars Unseen: And a SotN successor would need to do both, and at a higher resolution, making everything even more work. Top that off with the fact that SotN itself borrowed assets from previous games, and the goal to surpass SotN in 2D becomes a herculean task. Jul 20, 2018 9:15:43 GMT -6
Scars Unseen Avatar
Scars Unseen: $5.5M is not enough to pay for a herculean task. Jul 20, 2018 9:17:10 GMT -6
Astaroth Avatar
Astaroth: also the number of really great sprite artists are few and far between, iga had a couple back in the sotn days and thats why sotn was 2d, he had assets, a previous working knowledge of rondo, and the availability of a really great 2d team that could Jul 20, 2018 17:00:08 GMT -6
Astaroth Avatar
Astaroth: finegle 2d on a system built for 3d, he may still have curry and a few others but he doesnt have the 5-7 years it would take to completely build a 2d game with 2d sprites from literally nothing, look at cuphead and how long it took to develop and it needed Jul 20, 2018 17:02:41 GMT -6
Astaroth Avatar
Astaroth: M$ money to do so, could it be made, yes, but you see how ignorant of game design most people are when they complain that its been what 3 years since the kickstarter dropped and people have been complaining the games not out since march 2017 Jul 20, 2018 17:05:16 GMT -6
Astaroth Avatar
Astaroth: its one of those catch 22s to try to explain Jul 20, 2018 17:06:04 GMT -6
purifyweirdshard Avatar
purifyweirdshard: And explain it we have done, and after we do so, the people that ask the question are nowhere to be seen. At least it feels that way Jul 20, 2018 18:03:41 GMT -6